Our mission is to present excellent, affordable theatre by and about the African diaspora. Our purpose is to provide black youth access and opportunities to creatively express themselves unapologetically through theatre, strengthen connections within our culture, and establish long-term artistic development.
- Engage an all-inclusive audience in hopes that they have an understanding of underrepresented cultures through remarkable artistic excellence and care
- Expose Black youth to theatre early in their development
- Increase the number of audiences within the African diaspora
- Support and nurture artists of African descent
- Build community support and participation via communal-based events and activities
Filling the void in Portland, OR
With a slew of theatre companies in the Portland metropolitan area, it’s easy to assume there is an adequate proportion of diversity within this vibrant arts hub. Although there are dozens of companies here, only THREE were operated and/or managed by Afro-Americans, Blacks or Africans in 2014. With this reality, it was imperative that another company founded and managed by Black women and men emerge to not only entertain, confront and enlighten audiences but also create more opportunities for Black artists to display and develop their share and share their authentic stories unapologetically.